Wednesday, January 12, 2011

today in class...

today in class, we will be discussing Vittorio de Sica's The Bicycle Thief. I don't know how many times I've seen this movie! first was for class in Theo/Philo...then a couple more times in Italy for History of Cinema, Music in Cinema, History of Italian Cinema, etc.

The movie is of neorealist style and has a labor sector story. A father finds work as a delivery man and has his bicycle stolen at the beginning of the movie. He and his son is followed all throughout the movie in search of this bicycle. The movie was given an Honorary Academy Award for best foreign film in 1950 and considered to be one of the best examples of neorealist films.
I really did not care much for the movie at first but after tackling it more than once, i have learned to love it. The story is very sad but this sheds light on the reality that was happening in Italy right after the war and if you've been following me, anything that is somewhat related to the war is interesting to me.

anyway, im basically excited for this class because i get to hear italian again! haha. i really have to find a constant way to practice my italian here in manila. do try to watch this movie if you want to know what i'm talking about otherwise never mind.

goes and wanders

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ivan,

    Im DJ from the Philippines. Im also an EMMA scholar and im still here in europe. I accidentally stumbled on your cs profile the other day. Anyway, I am writing you coz I saw that you studied in padova. My sister is applying for exchange for the next edition of emma and she chose padova coz its the only university that offers economics taught in english for undergraduates. but upon emailing the uni, they said they dont have any classes in english for undergraduates. is this true? how was your studies in padova? wehre they all in italian? please let me know! deadline is coming sooon!

    Thanks alot and hello from Stockholm! Best city in the world! haha

    DJ

    ReplyDelete